Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Google translate, use it or not

   The post I commented on was the one from ICT FOR LANGUAGE TEACHERS about the use of Google translate. Google Translate: friend or foe? It is really an interesting question, because we use Google Translate so much, especially for students who study foreign languages or study abroad. 
  The author picture out the situation of the use Google Translate, as the post said, I totally agree, students use them to make strange sentences which are full of grammar mistakes, and this often drives teachers mad. 
  I can understand the situation, as I myself am also a language learner, sometimes, the fastest way to find out the translation of an article is to use Google Translate. It helps me to have a general idea of the articles or sentences, which helps me to fast read and write. At the same time, when I helped my friends to correct an assignment in French, I could find that some sentences were made up by using Google Translate, because some of the vocabulary usages were hard to understand.
  While the post author list out some of the questions which are very suggestive for me :
  For our future teaching career, how we treat the situation of using much of the online translator?  Should we accept it? And should we use the wrong grammar usage from the reference of online translator as an teaching example?
  I do think this post has a good analysis and quite suggestive for us to read, not only as a foreign students who are forced to use non-native language in our fast read and write, but also, as an master student major in education related field, the online reference should be used in a balancing way.


1 comment:

  1. You have shared with us a very interesting post. I'm sure that online translators do present quite a problem for L2 teachers.

    ReplyDelete